Originally monastic lands, the Estate has changed hands only a few times in its temporal history. Acquired by The Hon. Robert Drummond in 1772, a refugee from Perthshire who settled at Charing Cross shortly after 1746 Jacobite rebellion, his father having been killed fighting for Bonnie Prince Charlie. Luckily his Uncle had founded Drummonds Bank where Robert prospered. The Estate originally stretched from Hythe pier southwards but suffered two major sales, the first in 1895 of the Hythe lands after a long agricultural depression and the death of Edgar Atheling Drummond and the second in 1947 with the compulsory purchase of a third of Cadland Estate north of Fawley for the Oil refinery. This second sale saw the destruction of the mansion house originally by Henry Holland and then substantially enlarged by Sir Jeffry Wyattville in the 1820s, its Capability Brown Park, model farm and 40 Estate Cottages. Of this 'Old Cadland' sadly nothing remains.
The current Cadland House is also set within beautiful grounds laid out by Capability Brown - Henry Holland designed the cottage ‘orne’ as part of the same commission, creating a seaside cottage just five miles from the main house with Victorian pleasure walks and beautifully framed vistas of the Solent. Cadland remains the family home of Roberts descendants and is filled with the art collections of each subsequent generation, giving insight into the life of the family, and wider history of the United Kingdom over the last two and half centuries. Cadland has had many interesting and important visitors from King George III, Queen Victoria, through to Napoleon III.
The period since 1947 has seen the consolidation of eight tenant farms into a single farming unit centered on Stanswood Farm, diversification into energy, commercial offices and light industrial units, beach huts, and significant improvements to the Estate houses most of which are now let on commercial terms. The Estate was owned and managed by Maldwin Drummond OBE, JP, DL from 1954 to 2007 when he handed on to his son Aldred Drummond and his wife Fiona whom now manage the Estate.